New EMS & Nursing Continuing Education Course: For The Sake Of Trach
In the prehospital setting, EMS personnel will treat patients who have alternative airways for long term care needs. This course brings a different approach to EMS continuing education with a unique spin on courses available to EMS providers online. For The Sake of Trach utilizes evidence-based medicine and a clinical guidelines approach to help bring confidence to EMT and Paramedics when treating and assessing a patient in the field with a tracheostomy.
For The Sake of Trach Course Overview
Geared towards BLS and ALS providers, this course gives an in-depth look at tracheostomy patients and discusses the acute care setting and outside the hospital. The reason for continued ventilation and or support varies across populations, however, the EMS provider needs to be able to troubleshoot common problems associated with Trach patients. This course reviews tracheostomy patients, trach anatomy, complications and cardiac arrest in the tracheostomy patient.
Upon successful completion of For The Sake of Trach Course, the student will demonstrate competencies in the following objectives:
- Describe the function of the tracheostomy tube
- Explain the procedure for cleaning and changing the inner cannula
- Understand acute tracheostomy emergencies
- Describe the procedure for changing a tracheostomy tube
- Identify complications associated with over-inflation of a soft cuff
- Describe the preferred procedure for maintaining adequate cuff pressure
For questions about For The Sake of Trach Course, or the MedEdNow Course Library, please contact us today (855) 298-8900!